Best Electric Guitar Amp
An electric guitar amplifier is an electronic device that is used to strengthen the electrical signal sent by the pickup on an electric guitar. This signal is then produced as sound through one or more loudspeakers usually inside a cabinet. This electric guitar amp helps to change the tone of the instrument with the use of equalizer controls and electronic effects. The amp may be a standalone cabinet made of metal or wood, or a combo amplifier.
Usually in-built into the amp are distortion or overdrive and reverb features. In recent years, most of these amps use both AC mains power and battery for the user’s convenience. They come in different sizes and power ratings. The small practice amps are usually lightweight with one 6-inch speaker and 10-watt amp.
Heavier amps are usually very loud combo amps with four 10-inch or four 12-inch speakers with a 100-watt amp. Before the signal from the pickup reaches the amp, the sound can be modified using an external effect pedal. The type of electric guitar amplifier and its settings are determinants of the kind of tone and sound you will get.
Quick Links: Best Electric Guitar Amp
- Best of the Best: Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier Bundle
- Runner Up: Danelectro Honeytone N-10 Guitar Mini Amp, Aqua
- Best for Budget: Blackstar FLY 3 Battery Powered Guitar Amplifier, 3W
- Best for Beginners: Sawtooth ST-AMP-10-KIT-1ST-AMP-10-KIT-1 10-Watt Electric Guitar Amp with Pro Series Cable
- Best for Intermediates: Fender Champion 20-20-Watt Electric Guitar Amplifier
Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier Bundle
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Danelectro Honeytone N-10 Guitar Mini Amp, Aqua
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Blackstar FLY 3 Battery Powered Guitar Amplifier, 3W
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Sawtooth ST-AMP-10-KIT-1ST-AMP-10-KIT-1 10-Watt Electric Guitar Amp with Pro Series Cable
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Fender Champion 20-20-Watt Electric Guitar Amplifier
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Best Rated Electric Guitar Amps Reviewed
The electric guitar is a very prominent musical instrument in different music genre, especially rock music. An amplifier is needed to play this instrument because it is not loud without one, especially when playing with other instruments.
As hard as it is to buy the best electric guitar amp, we have come up with a comprehensive list. This list comprises some of the best amps that will help you get your signature tone and sound. No matter the kind of genre you play, we have an amp that is perfect for you. Here are some of the tested and trusted electric guitar amplifiers.
This is a 10 Watts electric guitar amplifier. It has a unique 1-6″ speaker design with just one channel. This amp comes with volume, treble, bass, gain and over-drive select switch controls. These controls are straightforward and very easy to use. Additionally, it has a 1/4″ input and a 2-band EQ. The 1/8″ auxiliary input jack feature helps you play along with a CD or media player.
On the other hand, the 1/8″ output jack is meant for silent practice. This amp has a closed-back design that produces a heavier bass response. Included for beginners are Fender’s Digital Guitar Lessons. The aesthetics are classically beautiful. Having a custom-voiced built-in overdrive that produces very good tone, Fender Frontman is great for blues and metal. All the features of this small quality amp come at a very reasonable price.
This is a N-10 amp electric guitar amplifier. This mini amp features a leather handle, a belt clip, and a headphone jack. It has very good clean and overdrive tones with controls for volume, tone and overdrive. It is powered by a 9V battery and has one included.
As the name implies, it is small, lightweight, mobile, portable and works well with an a/c adapter. It works great as a practice amp and gives a very decent sound that is well worth the price. It is loud enough for its size and does not occupy much space. The aesthetics of the amp is really impressive
This is a 3W electric guitar amp. Direct current or battery can power this amp. It has many brilliant features like the Bluetooth, extension cabinet, and 3-inch speaker. This mini amp has 2 channels, which are the digital tape delay, and the Patented Infinite Shape Feature (ISF).
With the ISF feature, one can change the amp’s sound and play around with tone. More so, this device is compact, portable, and has a big tone even when the volume is low. In addition, there is a line in or MP3 jack that allows you jam along to any song you want by connecting to your MP3 device, mobile phone, laptops, or other device. The characteristics of this device are innovative and produce very good sound quality. Blackstar Fly 3 is an awesome tiny amp.
This is a 10-watt RMS at 4Ω electric guitar amp with a 6.5″ speaker. Controls for this amp include volume control, gain control, and drive control. Additionally, a Master EQ control system produces good settings for treble, middle, and bass. 2 jacks are available for both input and output, which allows for the use of headphones.
The drive control lets you go between sounds that are clean and those that are overdriven. Furthermore, this compact practice amp has a lot of tones you can choose from. It is light, powerful and affordable. What’s more, it comes with a few accessories like a pro series cable and picks.
This is a 20-Watt electric guitar amp. It features a Bass and Treble EQ section for better sound quality and lush effects you can dial in easily. The 1/8 headphone output jack is meant for muting the speaker output and jam-along. You can enjoy most music genre with the turn of a knob.
This well-made amp also features a voltage of 230 Volts EUR and an open back cabinet for storing small accessories. Fender Champion is portable, very user friendly, versatile, and well designed. Ultimately, it is covered by a limited 5-year transferable warranty.
Key Considerations When Choosing the Best Electric Guitar Amp
When you go shopping for the best electric guitar amp, you will encounter a lot of brands with catchy features and designs. You have to be cautious and well-informed before buying an amplifier that will best suit your electric guitar. It is important to buy one that will serve you for a long time while giving you the best tone and sound. There are a lot of factors to consider when buying the best electric guitar amps. Here are some of the key considerations before buying the best electric guitar amp.
- Amplification Technology – There are three main amplifier technologies that can be used to play electric guitars. The type you choose will depend on your needs and playing style. These technologies or types are:
- Tube and Valve Amplifiers – These make use of vacuum tubes or valves to increase the guitar signal energy. This increase will make the signal big enough for the speaker. They are more expensive than the other amplifiers. Moreover, they are preferred for their responsive dynamics and natural tone.
- Solid State Amplifiers – These amplifiers use transistors to amplify the signal of the guitar. Such amplifiers are less expensive, lighter, and user-friendly.
- Digital Modeling Amplifiers – This is the use of modern technology in combining the benefits of both the valve and solid state amplifiers. The digital effects are in-built, convenient and versatile. In addition, they are affordable, light, and sound like valve amps.
- Power – The power you choose for your amp will depend mostly on what you intend to use it for. You need to decide whether the amp is for in-door practice or for big shows. Most big shows usually have additional sound systems so you do not have to spend too much to get an amp with too much power. Averagely, for large venues, you may get a valve amp with not more than 50W, and a transistor-based amp with not more than 100W. Amplifiers meant for in-door practice should have about 5W and 20W for valves and transistors respectively.
- Number of Channels – An amplifier with many channels will be very important for players who love flexibility. The amp should have a clean channel with a pure signal, and an overdrive channel with distortions. It is very important for an amp to be versatile in terms of number of channels to pick from.
- Effects – Many modern amps incorporate different effects. The more the effects, the more the cost. If you do not care for too many effects, you can save some money by buying one with less effects. Besides, there are external effect pedals you can get to make up for not having enough effects on your amp.
Conclusively, an electric guitar without an amplifier is a silent guitar. This means that an amplifier is as important as the electric guitar itself. Buying the best electric guitar amp is, no doubt, quite difficult. It really goes beyond randomly selecting one from a music store.
Knowing how confusing and stressful buying one can be, we have taken some time to put down some of the best amps. These amps will fit right into your budget and preferences. They each offer different features that suit different electric guitars. Whether it is for practice or for live performances, we have the perfect amplifier for you. Good luck with your search for the best electric guitar amp.