Best Electric Guitar under 400$
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Wanting to have an electric guitar should not cost you your whole allowance in order to play it. Sometimes, it is best to stick to a budget-friendly guitar that you know can deliver a good sound. When picking an electric guitar under 400, you should look at the following: playability, maintenance, and comfortability. We will further elaborate on these factors as we go along so you can have an idea on what to pick.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks:
- Best of the Best: Yamaha FGX800C Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Runner Up: Ibanez GRX20Z Gio Electric Guitar (Jewel Blue)
- Best Affordable: SX RST Full Size Electric Guitar Package w/GA1065 Includes Guitar
- Most Popular: Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, Rosewood Fretboard – Candy Apple Red
- Premium Choice: Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Guitar Heritage, Cherry Sunburst
Yamaha FGX800C Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Ibanez GRX20Z Gio Electric Guitar (Jewel Blue)
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
SX RST Full Size Electric Guitar Package w/GA1065 Includes Guitar,
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, Rosewood Fretboard – Candy Apple Red
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Guitar Heritage
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Best Electric Guitars Under 400$ Reviewed
There are many brand new electric guitars in the market that are still relatively cheap and fall under this price. However, not all of them are made to last or are even built nicely. This is why this list compiles the best choices available in order to help remedy the situation. After all, having a brand new electric guitar is sometimes better than having a second-hand one.
Yamaha FGX800C Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar has an adjustable truss rod so you can get the tension you need. This model uses diecast tuners, which makes the tuners strong and durable so it can hold the strings for a long time. You can get this product in two colors: natural, and ruby red. This product is recommended for beginners who like the sound of acoustic guitars while being able to transition into electric guitars.
It is not easy to look for electric guitars that can also function just like acoustic guitars that come at an affordable price. Yamaha’s product is here to tell you otherwise, however. Not only that, this product is praised for its high quality despite being on the lower end of price points, which makes it a good choice.
Ibanez GRX20Z Gio Electric Guitar is also available in three other colors such as blue, orange, and black. It uses a chrome hardware that includes the FAT-6 tremolo bridge in order for you to get the sound pitch changes you need. The fingerboard is made from rosewood, and it has medium ferts with white dot inlays as a guide. It has a poplar double-cutaway body that provides a classic electric guitar look while providing comfort.
For those who are looking for beginner electric guitars or a cheap replacement guitar, this is a good choice. When it comes to Ibanez, you will get what you pay for because it can deliver good sound, but do not expect professional sound quality. There are also some people who report that the guitar needs to improve on the locking mechanism in order to prevent the cable from popping off.
SX RST Full Size Electric Guitar Package is a starter guitar package needed for every beginner guitar player. The guitar uses 3 single coil pickups that produce a thick sound which can be warm to hear. The electric guitar is perfect for those looking to play the following genres: rock, jazz, blues, and Christian. The dual cutaway body helps you to play the highest frets at a fast pace, which helps in fast plays.
Most customers comment that this guitar is a sort of copycat from more known guitar brands. However, they are surprised at the quality this has because it actually delivers good sound. It does suffer from typical minor drawbacks that most electric guitars suffer from, which are ultra-sharp frets.
Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jazzmaster is one of the most expensive models that are listed on this compilation of guitars. Just like any other vintage modified electric guitar, it contains both modern and vintage parts that produce a unique sound. Such an example is the Duncan designed single-coil pickups which produce a snarl when playing. The basswood body ensures that you get a long-lasting guitar with great sound.
Squier brands are meant to be the lower-end product of original Fender guitars, so the similarities are not surprising. Most of the time, the sound is identical to the more expensive brand as it uses similar hardware. However, do note that there are some playability issues here such as the tremolo bar having problems, which are not found in Fenders.
Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Guitar is a more outdated product of the Epiphone guitar brand. This uses more classic hardware, such as 700T Humbucker pickups. Just like most electric guitars, it uses a rosewood fretboard which is proven to be durable. The cherry sunburst paint gives it a classic look that has a sleek finish which can appeal to beginners and professionals alike.
This electric guitar mostly has some quality control problems but can be fixed if you know what you are doing. It also comes with basic strings, which can give off a rather plain tone. However, most are satisfied with the quality of the guitar upon receiving it because it has a more professional sound than cheaper guitars.
Key Considerations when Buying the Best Electric Guitar under 400
It is often a person’s first idea to look at the pawnshop to look for a cheaper electric guitar that does not easily break. However, some electric guitars sold on these shops will require some repairs that might actually break your bank. Just like when you look for a brand new electric guitar, you should look at some factors that make one compatible for you.
- Playability – Depending on your skill as a guitar player, playability should always come to mind and help you gauge what kind of guitar to look for. Unless you are a professional player that knows everything, you should aim for guitars that are meant for your skill level. It is not bad for you to try to level up when looking for a guitar, but you should make sure that you know what to do with it. An electric guitar that requires so many steps in order to create a good sound from it does not make a good fit.
- Maintenance – A good electric guitar should be fairly easy to maintain, no matter what kind of guitar it is. Some of the things that makes an electric guitar easy to maintain are the parts that you can replace. Though not all electric guitars will need replacement parts upon purchase, it is better that you can find one in case you need it. Not only that, you should not have to go through great lengths just to produce the same kind of sound that you played in the guitar in the past.
- Comfortability – Any guitar player agrees that you should be comfortable in playing the guitar you are holding. If a guitar is too heavy for your body, or having strings are too hard to play is not a good choice. Some players forget this aspect because some of them aim for the good sound and aesthetic appeal of the guitar. However, if you are not comfortable playing your guitar, chances are you will not make a good sound out of it.
Not all people are comfortable with having to look far and wide just to get a good bargain, and guitar players are no exemption. Some people may find that cheap electric guitars are bad because they think they lack quality, but sometimes this is not the case. Unlike acoustic guitars, electric guitars can be more forgiving when it comes to the sound and are also more customizable. Most of the electric guitars in this selection are made for beginners, but can also make for good replacements until you buy your professional guitar. If you find that none of these electric guitars are fit for your preferences, there may still be other recommendations out there that you may like.