Best Electric Guitars for Intermediate Players
Transitioning to intermediate levels of guitar playing can be easy for beginners, but finding intermediate level electric guitars are not. This is because the market usually supplies either professional level or beginner level guitars.
However, this list will compile the best intermediate electric guitars that you can afford. These guitars will have the following qualities: good wood quality, stability, and good pickup.
Quick Links: Best Intermediate Electric Guitar
- Oscar Schmidt OE20TS Electric Guitar
- Epiphone-SG Special Electric Guitar
- Fender Modern Player Tele Plus Electric Guitar
- ENS-EBCH1 Epiphone Les Paul STANDARD Electric Guitar
- Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar
Oscar Schmidt OE20TS Electric Guitar
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Epiphone-SG Special Electric Guitar (w/ KillPot, Cherry Red)
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Fender Modern Player Tele Plus Electric Guitar
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
ENS-EBCH1 Epiphone Les Paul STANDARD Electric Guitar
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Best Electric Guitars for Intermediate Players Reviewed
When it comes to intermediate electric guitars, some recommendations of other guitar players will rely on preference.
However, by this time, you should be able to know your music type and not simply rely on their recommendations. This way, you will be able to stand out from others and create your signature sound. If you are willing to experiment on different sound styles, these electric guitar selections should probably fit your taste.
Oscar Schmidt OE20TS Electric Guitar is available in other color variations. Unlike other models, this uses an HH pickup configuration which gives it a beefy tone and reduces hum. It also has various knobs that allow volume and tone variations to allow you to control said settings. The rosewood fretboard creates a softer sound which mellows out the tones of the guitar.
You do not need to buy expensive electric guitars for immediate guitar playing, which this product proves on its own. It has a great quality for its price point, which is usually set for beginner guitars, but this is not the case for this instrument. However, do not expect a perfect product out of the box because some customers experience some problems that you can fix if tweaked properly.
Epiphone-SG Special Electric Guitar comes with D’Addario strings that are strong and delivers a great tone. It features the following pickups: 650R humbucker on the neck, and 700T humbucker on the bridge. This has a unique bolt-on neck that has a tapered heel, which produces a brighter tone than set necks. It has the following controls: one master volume, a LockTone Tune-O-Matic on the bridge, and one master tone with KillPot.
There are some features that this electric guitar can offer such as the KillPot. For a cheap price, this is a rather good instrument as well mostly because of the quality put into making it. Its sound is mostly comparable to other famous guitar brands and is praised positively.
Fender Modern Player Tele Plus Electric Guitar offers the option for you to be able to buy the guitar along with digital lessons. It has a 5-way switching and a coil-splitting mini toggle for the pickup which helps you create a more distinctive sound. This has 22 jumbo frets which are designed for the fast playing of the guitar. Unlike other products, it features three distinct pickups at different locations to help you explore your preferred style.
This product is the best product you can ask for Fender which falls under the cheaper price range. Even though it is from China, it still plays just like it was from the USA. There are some minor problems to the product which puts off some players such as excess humming and distortion.
ENS-EBCH1 Epiphone Les Paul STANDARD Electric Guitar comes with Anlico classic humbucker pickups which are more sensitive to touch. It has a mahogany body and a maple top that results in a balanced tone. For a more mellowed tone, it uses a rosewood fretboard, which is also very durable. The 24.75-inch scale length provides an appropriate spacing for guitar players to be able to play at varied speeds.
The aesthetics and hardware of this product are praised by many customers, especially those who have the guitar. Despite this, some are not comfortable with the design of the knobs and some are uncomfortable with the weight. However, most people say that this is just like a $2000 guitar and is worth the steal.
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar is a popular choice among intermediate players who are looking for a professional-sounding instrument. To encourage fast playing, this guitar has 21 jumbo frets. It features dual single-coil Tele pickups that provide that Telecaster signature sound. In order to maintain perfect sustain and tuning, the bridge is a string-through-body type and has block saddles.
You have to note that this is a Mexican Fender guitar, so you may think that it will not deliver good sounds. Those who have actually played the instrument by themselves will tell you otherwise. Since it can play with various sounds, you can explore more genres with it, except metal.
Key Considerations when Buying the Best Intermediate Electric Guitar
As an intermediate player, you finally have some idea on what kind of sound you are familiar and comfortable playing with. Therefore, it is your aim to find a guitar that has the capacity to produce that sound and further enhance it. However, this is not often easy as there are many guitars that promise to deliver a certain sound but actually fail when it falls in your hands. In order to narrow down the search and avoid such mistakes from happening, here are some tips on choosing an intermediate guitar.
- Good Wood Quality – When it comes to electric guitars, an intermediate player should look for wood that should be able to deliver quality sound. There are some more popular woods such as rosewood and mahogany used for certain parts of an electric guitar. A certain wood type and quality has a reputation for giving a tone and sustain that a player should look for. Thus, you should do appropriate research on the type of woods used on a guitar before deciding to buy one.
- Stability – Guitars are made of certain parts that can either be glued together or set on. These can affect the way they sound, and thus you should take note of how they are made. An electric guitar should be able to hold itself together to ensure that it stays for a long time. Not only that, as an intermediate player, you should be able to notice the difference in the sound of the guitar based on how it is assembled. Some guitars will lose their stability over time, but a good guitar should last at least 2 years.
- Good Pickup – Pickups are very important in terms of sound quality because they have a significant impact on the strings. Modern guitars have two types of pickups that have a certain distinction in sound. Pickups that are located near the neck produce a thick and heavy sound, while those near the bridge produce twangy sounds. Though how good the pickup is in terms of sound might depend on your preference, quality is still important. Not only should you be able to notice that the pickup is well-built, but you should also be able to use it without any hassle.
As a beginner player transitioning to the professional level, you may think that immediately jumping to professional guitars is a good choice, but this is not often the case. This is why there are guitars for intermediate players because such guitar players still lack the key skills to play professional guitars effectively. The quest for finding the perfect electric guitar based on your sole preference can be hard to do, even you read this list. This compilation of electric guitar products can only serve as a guide in order to give you an idea of what intermediates should play.