10 Best Electronic Drum Sets
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
The drums are a vital part of any rock band, they are the instrument that gives the music that undeniably amazing beat. However, investing in a real drum set can be an expensive investment and an annoyingly loud one for all those around you too.
Electric drum sets have an important place in the music industry. These drum sets offer the player a cheaper version to a real drum set and can generally be played with earphones to keep their music making quiet.
These drum sets often have the ability to record and teach, making music making easy for the new musician.
Quick Links: Best Electronic Drum Sets
- Best for the Money: Alesis Drums Nitro Mesh Kit | Eight Piece All Mesh Electronic Drum Kit
- Runner Up: Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit | Eight Piece All-Mesh Electronic Drum Kit
- Best Affordable: Pyle Electronic Drum Set Pad
- Best for Beginners: RockJam RJ760MD Electronic Roll Up MIDI Drum Kit
- Best Under $500: Yamaha Electronic Drum Set DTX402K
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Pyle Electronic Drum Set Pad
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
RockJam RJ760MD Electronic Roll Up MIDI Drum Kit
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Yamaha Electronic Drum Set DTX402K
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Best Rated Electronic Drum Sets Reviewed
Even though electric drum sets are generally cheaper than acoustic drum sets, they can still be an expensive investment, costing well over a thousand dollars before any accessories. Given this, the decision of which drum set to buy shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Therefore, we have put together a list of our top 10 recommended products, in order to ensure that you get the most bang for your, very expensive, buck.
This Alesis DM6 USB Kit | Eight-Piece Compact Beginner Electronic Drum Set features the real life feeling of playing the drums. Moreover, this drum set features both a headphone and an amplifier option, allowing for either the silent practice or the loud performance.
This drum set includes USB MIDI output abilities, allowing you to send data from your drum set to other instruments and to certain computer software. Finally, the dual zone snare pad provides you with playing freedom as each pad plays multiple tones.
Also Read: 10 Best Beginner Drum Sets
This Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit | Eight Piece All-Mesh Electronic Drum Kit features all mesh tops, providing the drum kit with most responsive and realistic sound and feel. Furthermore, this set plays over 350 different sounds, allowing you the freedom to play the music that you love.
There are over 60 of the sounds are play-along tracks to help beginners learn the ins and outs of drumming. And finally, this kit comes with everything you will need to play, a connection cable, drumsticks, a 4 post rack, drum key and power supply.
Also Read: 10 Best Headphones for Electronic Drums
This Pyle Electronic Drum Set Pad is an all in one drum machine kit, that allows for compactness and portability. Additionally, this kit comes with hundreds of built-in songs in order to let you play the music that you love.
This set has the ability to record, edit and save all your music, allowing you to make your own unique music. And finally, this drum set can be electrical or battery powered, giving you the added advantage of being able to travel with the set.
Also Read: Best Midi Drum Pads
This RockJam RJ760MD Electronic Roll Up MIDI Drum Kit has a sense of reality by sounding like an acoustic drum set. Moreover, the USB MIDI connection that the drum set features allows you to record your music and upload it on select software. In addition, this drum pad can be rolled up and make traveling easy. And finally, this set also comes with two pedals, drumsticks, power supply and built-in speakers.
This Yamaha Electronic Drum Set DTX402K features 10 different drum sets all wrapped into one package. Moreover, this drum set offers 169 different drum sounds in order to allow you to create your own unique sound and music. In addition, this drum set comes with features which include warm-ups and instructional tapes, in order to allow for beginners to learn how to play easily. And finally, this drum set also comes with a drum throne, a pack of drumsticks, a pair of headphones and a polishing cloth.
This PylePro Portable Drums, Tabletop Drum Set is a real drum set that can be played on the go being that it runs on an included AC adapter or batteries. Additionally, can be played on its own or along to recorded music, and can even play along to music pre-recorded music that you saved. Furthermore, this drum set has the capability of connecting to your laptop computer and working with select software in order to create even more unique music. And finally, this drum set comes with both built-in speakers as well as a headphone jack, allowing you the freedom to decide whether you want to be playing out loud or privately.
This Alesis CompactKit 4 | Portable 4-Pad Tabletop Electronic Drum Kit runs off of battery power making it easy to travel with the product. Moreover, this kit comes with 4 sensitive pads in order to make various noises and music. In addition, this kit comes with countless songs, voices and effects in order to allow you the freedom of playing what you love. And finally, this kit includes an AC adapter and set of drumsticks to allow you to play right out the box.
Also Read: Best Drum Rugs
This RockJam Portable MIDI Electronic Roll Up Drum Kit with Built in Speakers features seven adjustable drumming pads and 215 different voices for different sounds and music. Moreover, this drum set comes with an adjustable drum stand which allows for height and angle adjustments. Furthermore, this drum set comes with an instructional video in order to make it easier for beginners to start playing. Finally, this set features and AC adaptor, drumsticks, and bonus jam tracks.
This Roland V-Compact Series Electronic Drum Kit, Set (TD-17KL-S) Compact Series Electronic Drum Set features an enhanced sound engine in order to recreate the accurate sound of an actual drum set. Moreover, the versatility of the sounds allows for the playing of multiple different genres and styles. Additionally, this drum set allows for recording and saving on the set itself in order to create your own music. And finally, this drum set features a COACH function that helps players improve their drumming skills no matter their starting point.
This BEHRINGER XD8USB Drum Set features 8 piece drums with a sound module. Furthermore, this drum set comes with a USB jack in order to allow you to hook it up to any computer and software. Moreover, the High Definition Sampling technology (HDS) that the set offers, provides the drums with a realistic feel and sound. And finally, this drum set comes ready to play right out of the box, ensuring easy assemble and use.
Key Considerations When Buying an Electric Drum Set
Despite the fact that an electric drum set is often the cheaper option to real drums, it is not always the case, and electric drums can be quite the expensive investment. Therefore, before you go and purchase anything it is important that you know what to look for and what you need.
- Purpose – Different electric drum sets offer different features, with different sounds, songs, and electronics, each drum set is unique. Therefore, it is important to know what you need your drum set for before you purchase anything. Keep in mind the different abilities and features while researching and you’ll be sure to get the drum set that you need.
- Features – Making music is tricky business, and it’s important you understand how the added on features in each drum set affect your ability to make your music. While some drum sets simply include the ability to record, edit and save, others offer more prestigious abilities. Many drum sets allow you to hook your music up to different software, giving you the edge you never knew you needed.
- Accessories – As upsetting as it is, it is not actually possible to buy the drums and the immediately start playing. When it comes to drums, you need all kinds of accessories; drum sticks, a stool, speakers. Before buying your drum set, it’s important to keep things in mind and in your budget. And while, your accessories, don’t necessarily need to be top quality, the way you want your drum set to be, it is important that you buy accessories that you feel comfortable and confident playing with.
- When to Buy the Set – When it comes to electric drum sets, there is a right and wrong time to buy it. Because of the popularity of the item, they are often going on sale or going down in price in order to make them more accessible during the holidays time. Therefore, before going out and spending full price on an instrument that you could get for much less, compare prices and make sure that you are indeed getting the most bang for your buck.
- Feel – Drums should be played before purchased. The drums come in all different shapes and sizes and not every model is going to work for you. Therefore, it is important that you get a feel for a drum set and the way it sits and plays before you actually purchase it. Moreover, different sets come with different features and pads, making it doubly as important that you understand and like the set before you buy it.
Also Read: Best Drum Sets Under 1000
How to Choose an Electric Drum Set
With so many different options out there on the world wide web, it may seem hard to narrow down your electric drum search to one final decision. That’s why we put together a list of things that can help you narrow down your search.
- Tone – Despite the fact that most electric drums are extremely versatile and have the ability to play multiple different sounds and tones, it is still important that you make sure the set sounds the way you want and expect before making any final purchases. Moreover, especially in electronic drum sets it’s important that you find that the tone sounds genuine to a real drum.
- Stand – Every drum player will play slightly differently, therefore, it is important that you find a stand that is flexible enough to support your playing nuances while remaining durable enough to withstand the hardships of the beating of the drumsticks. In addition, if you are planning on using this drum set in actual gigs and performances, it’s important that you ensure that the drum stand is flexible enough to fold down to travel size.
- Drum Pads – Because, in an electronic drum set, the noise that is coming from the drums is not actually coming from the drum heads but rather from an electronically programmed software, it is important that the actual drum pads are silent. Generally, mesh head drum pads will be silent soft when played on and keep the tapping of the drumsticks from interfering with the noise of the music.
- Songs – Most electric drum set will come with either hundred of preprogrammed songs, the ability to connect to your computer or both. This is an important feature to look out for when purchasing an electric drum set because it will dictate the type of music you will have the ability to play along to. Furthermore, look out for those sets that allow you to download new music on to them, thus allowing you to always be playing along to your favorite bands.
- Start with a Starter – Starter drums kits are generally stripped down, simple versions of other more prestigious drums kits. These kits come with the bare minimum and should often include the ability to make the kit more prestigious with an add-on at a later point. This will allow you the ability to learn slowly, starting with the simple, and adding on pads and sounds as you grow to be more experienced in music.
Things That You Need to Play an Electric Drum Set
Unfortunately playing the drums isn’t as simple as just buying a drum set. In order to be able to play the drums, there is a list of accessories that you will need before getting started.
- Throne – A throne refers to the stool that drummers sit on while playing the drums. The right throne will be both comfortable and support your natural playing position, making it easy for you to play always. Moreover, a good throne will also be adjustable in order to make I easy for you to always ensure that you are the right height for whatever drum set you own.
- Headphones – Electric drum sets have the huge advantage of not needing to be the loudest instrument in the room. However, in order to ensure that you are always getting the best sounds quality when playing your electric drum set, it’s important that you have high-quality headphones.
- Speaker – Just because an electric drum set doesn’t have to be the loudest instrument in the room, doesn’t mean it can’t be the loudest if you want it to be. A good quality speaker will ensure that your drums have the genuine sound that you love, with the volume that the rocker in you craves.
- Sticks – Contrary to popular belief, drumstick are not just drumsticks. There are actually countless different types of drumsticks and it is important that musicians find the ones that are most comfortable for them. Drums differ in material, length, thickness and even shape.
Pro Tip: When purchasing an electric drum set, a great place to start is a starter kit. Those kits will not include most accessories but they will generally include some, and AC adapter and even an instructional DVD in order to improve your playing technique.
Also Read: Best Junior Kids Drum Sets
Learning to play the drums is every rockers dream, with the adrenaline pumping style and the undeniably wild beat, drums really are a unique instrument. So, whether it be for learning, the recording, or just because you want it, electric drums sets are a really great instrument to have. Moreover, electric drums have the unique ability to be versatile and portable, making it an ideal instrument in a lot of ways. However, it is because of this uniqueness of the electric drum set, that it is so important to know what to look for before purchasing the instrument.