Best Saxophone Brands
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
There are many brands of saxophones in today’s market. Considering that the sax is a versatile instrument that comes in a myriad of types and styles, it can be difficult to choose the best brand for your saxophone. In this article, you will get a glimpse of the factors to consider when choosing a saxophone brand.
Selmer SAS280 La Voix II Alto Saxophone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Jean Paul USA AS-400 Student Alto Saxophone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L+92D+PB
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Glory Professional Alto Eb SAX Saxphone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Lazarro Black-Gold Keys Eb E Flat Alto Saxaphone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Best Rated Saxophones Reviewed
While there is no one perfect brand when it comes to buying a saxophone, the above factors can help you choose the great one. Below we have put together some of the best saxophones from different brands to help you make an informed decision.
The Selmer SAS280 is an intermediate model saxophone for students who would want to upgrade from the student to the intermediate or professional level saxophones. It is also made by Selmer a reputable company known for making quality horns. Furthermore, this is an excellent horn with free blowing sound and a precise pitch. The ultra-bell design and the copper brass improves the sound quality. The horn also offers professional key styling for better figuring and comes at an affordable price.
The Jean Paul AS-400 suits the beginner and intermediate players. This horn is beautifully made with a gold lacquered finish. It is also very responsive to beginners and has perfect intonation. Furthermore, it comes with many accessories so it can be played right from the box.
This Mendini saxophone is made by Cecilio a musical instrument manufacturing company founded in 2004. This firm makes high-quality horns that are affordable. With a body that is gold lacquered, a ribbed constriction and durable leather pads, this saxophone is not only strong but also easy to play. The horn also comes with a host of accessories and it is ideal for both beginner and professional players
The Glory professional alto saxophone is made from quality materials. This horn is also affordable. Furthermore, it comes with a high F# key. It is easy to play for both beginners and professionals.
The Lazarro Black Gold is a stylish and durable saxophone made by Lazarro a US-based musical instruments manufacturer. The horn has a great sound. It is also affordable and comes in 12 colors leaving the player spoilt for choice.
The Yamaha YAS 280 saxophone is a horn manufactured by the popular and well-reputed Yamaha. This model is best for beginners and intermediate players. It is lightweight making it easy to carry around and the design makes it easy to grip this horn. The production of sound is flawless and the design is appealing and stylish.
The Yamaha YAS-6211 professional saxophone is a worthwhile investment ideal for both students and professional players. The horn has quality sealing which results in a richer and fuller sound. It also has additional features that reduce air loss allowing some notes to be played fully. Furthermore, it also comes with a narrower bore on the neck, which gives the player better control.
The Etude EAS-100 Student saxophone is made from quality metals for durability. The horn can be played immediately after purchase and the key works and pads work well to produce full tones. This is also an affordable horn for student players on a budget.
The US TS-400 tenor saxophone is ideal for beginner and intermediate sax players. It has an aesthetically pleasing yellow brass body. Moreover, the bell brace is strong and long-lasting and beginners will find it easy to use due to the tapered pivot keys. It also comes with different accessories allowing you to start playing as soon as you buy it.
The Mendini MTS L-92D saxophone is ideal for student musicians who want to horn their skill before buying high-end saxophones. It is affordable and has fast action keys for ease of play. The sax produces a deep and rich sound and an even intonation. It also comes ready to play out of the box because of the additional accessories.
Why Should You Consider Brand?
When you are purchasing a saxophone, you might be tempted to buy from just any brand. After all, any saxophone will do. Right?
Wrong. Saxophones are expensive and buying from the wrong brand can leave you with a useless instrument after just a few months. There are many benefits to considering before buying a saxophone brand. Some of them include:
- An existing reputation – Some brands have built a reputation and a perception of providing quality instruments. This has earned them the trust of consumers. However, unknown brands do not have such a reputation and some may not pass the test of time.
- Fast decision-making – Having a brand in mind can save you time spent on making a decision. For instance, if you are searching online for a saxophone you will get a ton of results and reviews. However, if you are only looking for a certain brand of saxophone, you will find it easier to find the horn you are looking for.
- Brands help you avoid risks – Picking a brand for your saxophone can give you an opportunity to read reviews online. You will know what to expect. This also reduces the risk of disappointment or failure of your investment.
- Brands make a statement – The type of instrument you play can tell others who you are. For instance, you might prefer a horn from Selmer as they are often labeled as the best of the best. Or you might buy a Yanagisawa saxophone since they use bronze on their saxophones.
Key Considerations When Buying Best Saxophone Brands
Buying a saxophone is a big investment. With so many saxophones brands available in the market, finding the right one can be challenging. In this guide, we give you a few pointers on what factors to consider when making a choice on the best brand for your saxophone.
- Reputation and quality – There are some manufacturers that people known as being high-quality. Most saxophonists agree that the top four brands include Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth, and Selmer. However, it is important to note that there are new manufacturers from Asia that are coming up who are worth looking into. Some of them include Cannonball, Dakota, Jupiter, Jean Paul, and Chateau among others.
- Price of the horn – Reputable brands such as Yamaha and Yanagisawa sell their saxophones at a higher price. If you are a student or on a budget, you can consider saxophones by Asian brands where labor is cheap making the price of the instrument affordable.
- Experience level of the player – Many companies make saxophones for musicians at different levels. For instance, Keilwerth does not make a student line although they have saxophones for intermediate and professional players. Yamaha does have a student line though.
- Vintage or new – New saxophones are not cheap although they often have a warranty in case of damage. You might prefer a vintage horn because of the price. There are brands that only sell vintage horns while others sell both new and used. Selmer Paris is one such company. Other brands including King, Conn, Martin, and Buffet are famous for selling quality saxophones. Before buying, ensure you test if the vintage saxophone is in good condition.
In conclusion, choosing the right brand to buy your saxophone from doesn’t have to be so hard. This article gives you factors to consider when choosing the best manufacture of your new saxophone. Choosing a reputable brand whose saxophones are durable and affordable can help you get a horn that will serve you for a lifetime.