Best Saxophone VST
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Today, the creation of music using different instruments can be done at the touch of a button. This is all thanks to digital audio technology and VST software. VST, which stands for Virtual Studio Technology allows you to gain access to numerous sounds from virtual instruments with which you can use to make music with the help of MIDI controllers.
In this article, we look at factors to consider when looking for a saxophone VST. We also give you a review of our five recommended saxophone VST to give you an idea of what works when it comes to sax VST.
Quick Links: Best Saxophone VST
- Best of the Best: Native Instruments Komplete 11 Select Software Suite
- Runner Up: Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
- Best Affordable: Kick Ass Brass
- Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2
Best Rated Saxophone VST Reviewed.
Native Instruments Komplete 11 Select Software Suite
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Kick Ass Brass
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Saxophone VST plugins do not come cheap. We understand it can be difficult to decide on the best that will give you value for money.
The recommendation we have given above can help you make an informed decision. However, if you are still not sure which is the best saxophone VST, here is a review of our top five saxophone VST software in the market.
The Native Instrument Komplete II Ultimate is one of the best VST plugins available. It is an all in one pack for music production and has a set of software instruments.
You will get access to the best saxophone instrument sounds in the small horns and the session horns pro components. If you choose to buy the ultimate version, you can install just the saxophone libraries you want rather than installing everything.
This will save you space and money. In addition, this software allows you to transfer your license to other parties such that you can sell or even share with your friend the sax sounds.
Also Read: 10 Best Saxophones for Beginners
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3 virtual instrument software is made up of high-quality big band and Jazz instruments collection. It also has a VST unit.
It has more than 75 instruments with six collections of saxophones that range from the soprano sax to the large subcontrabass saxophone.
The sounds of these instruments are perfect. With these instruments, you can create solos or build ensembles of a full band. In case of any problem, you can call the Garritan customer service team who are very friendly and quick to offer all the help you might need.
The Kick Ass Brass VST software has an authentic sounding horn library that is made of alto/tenor/baritone saxophones among other horn instruments such as trombone and the trumpet.
The VST has recorded mono solos and pre-programmed ensembles making it easy to listen and create modern music. It has many styles of music including expressive, staccatos, semitone, and slides among others. The software works as both a stand-alone and as a plugin.
The Garritan Concert and Marching Band VST brings the sound of a show band using an array of virtual instruments. Included is the saxophone family from the soprano sax to the bass and even the rare sarrusophone instrument that looks like the saxophone.
The library contains individual solo instruments that you can listen to or use to build your own band.
The Spectrasonics Ominisphere comes with more than 12,000 sounds and a big library of quality-sampled sounds.
The Omnispehere library has a range of sampled saxophones whose sound is of high quality. However, these sounds can’t be played raw although you can modify them on your samples.
Key Considerations When Buying a Saxophone VST
If you are considering buying a saxophone VST software, you are most likely looking for a quality one. There are things you need to consider if you want to get the best. We have compiled a few of them to help you make an informed choice.
- The quality of the sound – The sound quality of the VST is an important factor to consider. Although the software might have all the saxophones sounds you are looking for, if the sound quality is poor you might find it useless. The saxophone is a hard instrument to emulate and thus the VST will not sound like the real instrument. However, you need to listen to the sounds before buying it. Most of the VST owners will allow you to listen to a demo while others have online videos of the virtual instrument you want to buy. We recommend you listen to these first before buying your sax VST.
- What’s your Budget – Before you go looking for a saxophone VST, consider your budget. There are numerous VST on the market and all of them vary in terms of prices. Some VST will give you the option of buying a single library while for others you will have to buy the whole software, which could be expensive. However, a whole software with many virtual instruments can give you a variety of sounds to work with.
- User friendliness – A user-friendly interface will help you navigate and know how to use your VST. A good virtual technology studio should have well laid out guidelines on how to install and use it. It should also have a user-friendly interface such that even if you are using it for the first time, you will have an idea on how to use it. The customer care personnel from the company who owns the software should also be responsive and friendly just in case you are stuck.
- What are your needs – Consider how you will use your sax VST. Maybe you want a virtual instrument that plays the soprano sax really well for a solo performance or maybe you want one with multiple saxophones sounds to make music. You could also be looking for a VST that has multiple virtual instruments. The answers to such questions will help you buy the right VST that fits your needs.
- The compatibility requirements – Always ensure you are aware of the compatibility requirements before you buy your VST. Some might not work on some operating systems. Most VST software will work on Windows or Mac operating systems. Additionally check the required disk space, processing power, and memory. This will ensure that the software runs smoothly once you install it on your computer.
Also Read: Best Tenor Saxophone
Why Use a Saxophone VST
In recent years VST plugins have become very popular. Even notable musicians saxophonists included, do use them to make music. Before we get to the factors you will need to consider when buying your sax VST, let us look at why these plugins are so popular and why you should get one.
- Numerous instrument sounds – For starters, virtual instrument software have an array of virtual instruments that one can listen to or use to make music. Some of them have sounds of instruments that existed in ancient times while others have sounds of instruments that are too expensive for our pockets. Whether you want to hear the sound of a bass saxophone or a soprano saxophone, a quality saxophone VST is likely to have such sounds and more.
- You will get quality sounds – One of the reasons why VST is so great is that some of them do have quality sounds. Many musicians have used these plugins to compose songs and it is often difficult for the listener to tell the sound of the virtual instrument from one of the real instrument. The VST developers try as much as they can to replicate the sounds of the original instrument and some of them have done an amazing job. If you buy a quality VST, it is likely to have very nice virtual instrument sounds.
- You do not have to carry your sax around – A virtual instrument software offers you the chance to have more than one virtual instrument in your computer. In case you have a live performance, you do not have to carry a saxophone or other instruments that you might need to perform. Carrying physical instruments often gets very cumbersome especially for musicians who are always on the road. With a VST, all you need is a good computer and a midi controller to make music.
- You will save some money – Musical instruments are expensive. Whether you are renting or buying a new one, they come at a price. For instance, if you want to own the whole saxophone family, you will have to part with a large sum of money. However, with a saxophone VST, you get to have numerous sounds for the different saxophones on a limited budget.
- You do not have to learn to play the sax – Learning to play the saxophone or any other instrument for that matter can take you months or even years. If you do not have the patience to learn, it can cost you. For instance, you will need to constantly hire the services of a saxophonist if you want to incorporate the saxophone in your music. However, a VST makes the work easier as it provides different sax sounds you can choose from for your music.
Also Read: Best Saxophone Brands
Other Components You Will Need When Using Your Saxophone VST
A VST, although it is a great software, cannot work alone. To successfully use your saxophone VST, you will need a few other items including:
- DAW – This stands for a digital audio workstation. It is a system used to record and edit digital audios. There are varieties of DAW software you can use to record, edit, or even playback the audios from your VST.
- A controller or keyboard – A controller helps you to control the VST plugins. Additionally, you will be able to express yourself better if you have a keyboard with weighted keys. Although this is not a necessity to make music, we recommend you have one to make things easier.
- A working computer – Since VST is a software, you will need the hardware, which will be your computer. You need to have a computer that can handle your VST. The computer needs to have the recommended specifications in terms of disk space, memory, and operating system to allow the plugin to run on it.
- A sound card – A sound card is important since it will allow you to send the audio files to your speaker or headphones. Most computers have an inbuilt sound card but you might need to buy a dedicated sound card to eliminate delays. Such delays often occur between you playing a note on your controller and getting the sound from your VST. The card should have zero latency for best performance of your virtual instrument software.
Also Read: Best Alto Saxophone
A quality saxophone VST software can save you time, effort, and money. However, you need to get a quality one if you want to enjoy its benefits. Considering the sound quality of the virtual instruments used in the software is one factor that can help you get a quality VST. Additionally, you should consider your budget, user-friendliness of the software, and its compatibility with your computer if you wish to get the best saxophone VST for your needs.