10 Best Saxophones for Beginners
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
If you are a beginner saxophonist, you know by now that a good saxophone can make or break your chances of being a great performer. However, getting the right beginner saxophone is easier said than done. There are numerous beginner instruments in the market and choosing the best can be hard. Therefore, this article is here to help you on that journey of finding the right product.
Quick Links: Best Saxophones for Beginners
- Best Alto Daxophone for Beginners: Jean Paul USA AS-400 Student Alto Saxophone
- Best Beginner Soprano Saxophone: Nuvo N510JBBK Soprano saxophone
- Best Affordable Beginner Saxophone: Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L92D+PB Flat Alto saxophone
- Best Beginner/Indeterminate Saxophone: LyxJam Alto Saxophone – E Flat Brass Sax Beginners Kit
- Best Beginner Tenor Saxophone: Jean Paul USA TS-400 Tenor saxophone
Jean Paul USA AS-400
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L92D+PB
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
LyxJam Alto Saxophone - E Flat Brass Sax Beginners Kit
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Jean Paul USA TS-400 Tenor saxophone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Mendini by Cecilio MTS-L+92D B Flat Tenor saxophone
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
If you are still unsure of the best beginner saxophone for you, below are a few of our top ten recommendations. These instruments are affordable and easy to use for beginners. You won’t go wrong if you choose any one of them.
Best Rated Saxophones for Beginners Reviewed
The Jean Paul USA AS-400 is an alto saxophone that is ideal for both children and adults who want to learn how to play the sax. This horn is easy to play with strong springy keys that play smoothly. The fluidity and the convenient placement of its keys is one of the reasons it comes so highly recommended for beginners. This sax is beautiful sax with a yellow brass lacquered body. Moreover, the sax is also lightweight making it easy to carry around and it comes with many accessories making it ideal for beginners. It is also affordable and has a one-year warranty in case it comes with a broken or a non-functional part.
The Mendini MAS-L92D+PB alto saxophone is another alto saxophone ideal for beginners. This horn is affordable and the springy keys make it easy to play. It also comes with many accessories with an added pocketbook and a tuner. In addition, this saxophone is lightweight making it easy to carry. The horn comes in 11 beautiful colors which give beginners a wide range of color choices to choose from. Moreover, this sax comes with a good sound and a one-year warranty.
The LyxJam Alto Saxophone is ideal for both students and intermediate players. This horn is by a Legacy a reputable brand so you won’t go wrong if you buy it. The yellow brass lacquered body makes it absolutely beautiful to look at. Moreover, this sax is made with durable materials that are meant to last. It plays well and comes with a bunch of accessories including a durable well-cushioned carrying case. The LyxJam Alto Saxophone also comes with a two-year protection plan that covers accidents and malfunctions.
The Jean Paul USA-TS-400 is a tenor saxophone of high-quality materials. If you are a beginner band student, the tenor saxophones can be a good place to start learning although it is often larger than the tenor horns. Thus, it ideal for students who can handle its weight. This sax comes with tapered pivot keys and a beautiful yellow lacquered brass body. Moreover, the response is effortless and the intonation is wonderful. The strong bell brace guarantees the durability of this horn with a bunch of accessories that ensures you get value for your money.
The Mendini intermediate B Flat tenor saxophone is ideal for both beginner and intermediate students. This horn comes in six different colors and has quality leather keys for durability. Furthermore, this sax comes with many accessories including a durable hard shell carrying case. It also has a one-year warranty in case you buy and notice some defects from the manufacturer.
The Yamaha YAS-280 alto saxophone comes highly recommended by professional saxophonists as a good place to start as a student. This horn has an ergonomic key design making it easy for the students to access the keys. Further, this sax has an extra F# key that is rare to find on many student horns. This horn is also lightweight which makes it ideal for children. Moreover, the Yamaha YAS-280 comes in a beautiful stylish body that is durable. Since it is from a reputable brand, it won’t be hard to find repair parts.
The Glory PRI E-flat Alto Saxophone is of high quality and comes at a great price for a student sax. This horn comes with a quality brass body and durable leather pads. The well-positioned holes allow a student player to play this sax easily and comfortably. Moreover, the horns compact design makes it ideal for both children and adult players. It also comes with a hand engraved bell and more than 15 colors to choose from. Additionally, the sax comes with a three-year protection plan in case your child has an accident.
The Etude EAS-100 student alto saxophone is made of a durable brass body. This horn comes ready to play out of the case due to all the extra accessories provided. In addition, this sax is affordable and easy to use for a beginner with the keys and pads working together to give you a great sound. Furthermore, this sax is beautiful to look at. If you are buying it for a youngster, this sax will obviously impress him or her.
The Nuvo N510JBBK soprano saxophone is a great saxophone for those who are starting to learn how to play the soprano sax. Although most students begin with alto and tenor horns, a soprano sax can be easy to learn for clarinetists who want to learn how to play the sax. Moreover, the Nuvo N510JBBK produces a great sound. It is also affordable for a beginner. This instrument is easy to play and ideal for both adult and children beginner saxophonists. The sax is in the key of C, which makes it easy to use for students with soprano record books that are often in the same key.
The Yamaha YSS-475II Intermediate soprano saxophone is ideal for soprano saxophone students. This horn has a highly durable body and its free blowing nature makes it easy to play. Additionally, the horn is lightweight with ease of control making it easy for children and adults to manage. The Yamahas intonation is also good when you hold this soprano sax steady. Made by Yamaha, be prepared for a durable and great sounding instrument.
Key Considerations When Buying a Beginner Saxophone
When you go looking for a student saxophone to buy, you will be bombarded with a lot of information on why one saxophone is better compared to the other. This can get overwhelming and confusing. Before making that purchase, we recommend you look out for a few factors that can help you make a more informed decision.
- Consider the horn’s durability – As a beginner, you will want to buy a saxophone that will last. Look for a saxophone that is made with a durable brass body that is lacquered for further protection. When shopping you will find many beginner saxophones, which are extremely cheap. However, it is best if you avoid these as they are often made of poor quality. Such a sax will require numerous trips to the repair shop, which can drain your pockets.
- Ease of use – Beginner saxophones are usually for students. Such horns produce quality sounds quite easily. They will keep you committed to developing your skills. In addition, they are comfortable to play and often affordable. Ensure that you get a saxophone that sounds good and is easy to play. Nothing is as discouraging as a sax that is hard to play for a beginner saxophonist.
- Go with reputable brands – As a beginner, you might find yourself overwhelmed with all the beginner saxophones on the market. There is also a lot of conflicting information on the best saxophone for a beginner. However, you can never go wrong from an established brand. If you do not know what to look for, buy a model from a famous brand such as Yamaha, Selmer USA, Conn among others. Although they might be pricey, at least you will have some reassurance of their quality.
- Look out for counterfeits – It is good to be aware that in the past few years there have been many counterfeit saxophones in the market. These horns are often from China, although that isn’t always the case. If you see an instrument that seems too good to be true, it probably is. Some of these instruments have fake reputable brands stamps on them. Ensure you buy from reputable online shops such as Amazon to prevent yourself from being duped.
In the end, if you are interested in learning how to play the saxophone, you will need to buy a good beginner sax. A good beginner instrument should be durable and easy to use. Furthermore, it should be affordable. Make sure to look at the considerations we mentioned above. With the right amount of information, you can make a better choice, especially as a beginner, when it’s hard to decide what’s right.