Best Travel Electric Guitar
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
A travel guitar is a small kind of guitar that has a scale length that is either full or almost full. This guitar is specifically made to travel along with you. In as much as traveling can be fun, guitarists know the pain of having a favorite guitar damaged while on a road trip.
Traveler Guitar Ultra Light
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Traveler Guitar Speedster
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Steinberger Spirit GT-PRO Deluxe
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
SING F LTD Enhanced Edition Anygig Guitar Electric Travel Portable Guitars
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Traveler Guitar SONIC L22
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
Traveling is fun. For some, it is a hobby, while for others, it is a necessity. Whatever the reason for travel, it is hard to be away from your guitar for the duration of your journey. The need to play away from home has necessitated the manufacture of travel electric guitars. The travel electric guitars reviewed here are some of the most reliable available.
Best Rated Travel Electric Guitar Reviewed
This travel electric guitar is the smallest electric guitar with a full scale of 24 ¾ inches and a length of 28 inches. As its name implies, it is also the lightest travel guitar, with an ultra lightweight of 3 pounds 2 ounces. This beautiful travel piece is so compact that it can easily fit into the overhead bins of airlines. It comes with 22 medium frets, ebony-rosewood fingerboard, D’Addario strings, and a natural satin finish.
In addition, it features a one-piece Eastern American maple neck-through-body minimalistic design. It features a ¼” output for direct plugging into an amp or other devices. Another feature is the dual-rail humbucker with high output for huge tone and pickup.
This beautiful piece offers uniform playability by giving the player same playing area he enjoys on his standard guitar. The in-body tuning system makes use of tuning machines incorporated into the guitar’s body without needing a headstock. To crown it all up, this portable electric guitar has a detachable lap rest and a well padded gig bag. You can travel as far as you want to, but do not go anywhere without this travel guitar.
This travel electric guitar has a full scale of 24 ¾ inches and a one-piece maple neck-through-body and a beautiful finish. More to the point, this travel guitar is 30″ long, weighs 4 pounds 7 ounces and has a standard 1/4″ jack. The sound, sustain and tone produced by this incredible travel guitar are beautiful.
This guitar also features a dual-rail humbucker pickup with high output, 22 medium frets, and 6 D’Addario strings on an ebony rosewood fingerboard. Provision is made for volume and tone controls. The bridge and truss rod of this right-handed guitar are adjustable and fully functional.
Unlike most travel electric guitars, this guitar has a modern design that incorporates a removable upper arm support. This upper arm support will increase portability and reduce the inconvenience of playing in a sitting position. It is also small and light enough to fit right into overhead compartments of airplanes. You can also carry it comfortably on your lap for long hours or inside your suitcase without feeling stressed.
This travel electric guitar has a scale length of 25.5 inches with a thru-neck design. The design integrates a 3-piece hard maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. In addition to this uniquely shaped travel guitar is an adjustable truss rod, a humbucker pickup configuration and a fixed bridge system.
A trademark headless design coupled with a patented double ball tuning system are incorporated into this stable guitar. Summarily, this travel electric guitar sounds great, offers low action, is fun to travel with, and comes with a soft case.
This travel electric guitar is very portable with a full scale length of 25.5 inches and net weight of 1.4 kg. Featured are 24 frets, total length of 80.5 cm, 3-pieces hard maple neck and body, and rosewood fingerboard. Other features include an output jack, an Anygig glow humbucker pickup, and a two-way truss rod.
The neck is comfortable with a U-shape that makes it easier to play. Accessories that come with this guitar are travel bag, armrest bone, and output jack audio cable. In a nutshell, this beautifully designed piece is simple, balanced, portable and stable. It can be used for gigs anytime and anywhere.
This travel electric guitar is fully scaled with 24 ¾ inches, weighs 5 lbs. 5 oz., has 6 strings, and is 33½ inches long. It looks very much like a traditional guitar but is shorter, smaller and lighter. The specifications are perfect for portability and can fit into airplane overhead compartments.
Included is an in-built headphone amplifier with 4 tones to choose from, and an aux-in that can connect directly with mobile devices. Do not underestimate the two full-sized humbuckers, traditional tuning machines, three-way pickup selector, and adjustable tune-o-matic bridge. Easy access to the high frets is guaranteed by the beveled neck heel. Traveler Guitar Sonic L22 is user-friendly, ensures uniform playability, and is accompanied by a gig bag.
Key Considerations When Choosing the Best Travel Electric Guitar
Being on the road with your primary guitar can affect its sound quality and finish, especially when there are humidity changes. Buying a travel electric guitar should be done carefully. Some of the key considerations to take note of are as follows:
- Aesthetics – Be sure to get a travel electric guitar that looks great. A horrible-looking travel guitar can be very discouraging to play with. When your instrument appeals to your eyes, you will be more inspired to play it. Get a design you love with colors and finish that are beautiful to look at.
- Built-in Electronics – An electric guitar needs an amplifier without which it will not produce sound. There are many travel-worthy amplifiers you can plug to your guitar while traveling. However, with modern advancements, there are travel electric guitars with a built-in headphone amp, tuner, effects, and aux input for jamming along. Get batteries for either the portable amplifiers or the electric guitar with built-in electronics so that you can practice anywhere and anytime.
- Comfort – Travel electric guitars quite uncomfortable to play with because of their smaller bodies and lighter weights. This is more so when you have to sit while playing or play without a strap. For maximum comfort, your travel electric guitar should have extensions. These extensions will make the guitar rest better on your legs just like a normal sized guitar would. The travel electric guitar will get more familiar with time.
- It Should be Versatile – Since you may not be traveling all the time, get a travel electric guitar you can use it at home too. It should sound great and have features you love in your main guitar. You may even get a travel electric guitar that sounds better than your primary guitar if you search carefully.
- Playability – Playability is mainly determined by the scale length and the nut width. On the one hand, the scale length is the distance of the stretched strings from the guitar’s nut to its bridge. The nut width, on the other hand, is the wideness of the neck of your guitar at the nut. For uniform playability, get a travel guitar that has specs similar to that of your regular or primary electric guitar. However, if you prefer playing comfort, just get an electric guitar that has a shorter scale length.
- Protection – Your travel electric guitar does not have to be exposed to avoidable risks just because it is made for travels. Make sure you get a case that fits it perfectly. Most electric guitars come with a case; but if you do not get one or you have one that does not offer enough protection, you should spare some extra money and buy a better one. Safeguard your axe from the elements, scratches and damages by getting a well-padded and sturdy case.
- Size and Weight – Whether you are traveling by air, land or sea, a travel guitar has to be compact, lightweight and overall, very convenient. It should be able to fit right into your travel space without inconveniencing others or getting damaged.
Traveling with your prized electric guitar can be worrisome, inconvenient, and costly. Travel guitars are manufactured as a more practical alternative. As much as you love your prized guitar, traveling with it can be a risk you may not be willing to take.
We have researched and come up with some of the best travel electric guitars. They sound great, look great, and are sturdy, portable, beautiful, and well-equipped. As a matter of fact, every travel electric guitar on this list is valuable and worth your money. You can now embark on that journey knowing you have your favorite musical instrument right there with you.