55 Best Love Songs of All Time
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Love songs, in general, are poetic, musical expressions of love. Many love songs are timeless and will be remembered across time. While it’d be impossible to name every hit song over the course of history, here is a list of 55 best love songs from the past decades which have remained as the best hits ever made.
1. “Love song’’ by Sara Bareilles (2008)
Produced and released in 2008, ‘’Love Song’’ topped both the Adult Contemporary and Adult Pop Songs chart. Also, it was the No. 1 song of the year on those two lists.
2. “Baby love’’ by The Supremes (1964)
This 1964 song hit the Hot 100 for four weeks and made the Supremes the first Motown act to produce two number 1’s. Moreover, their previous single, ‘’Where Did Our Love Go’’, also was high in position.
3. “Love Story’’ by Taylor Swift (2009)
Based on the most famous love story, ‘’Romeo and Juliet,’’ Swift wrote this song from her own experience. This is based around her family disapproving the guy she was dating.
4. “Best of My Love’’ by The Emotions (1977)
This one is a classic that over the decades has featured in movies and TV soundtracks. In addition, it is an up-tempo record you will want to listen to time and again.
5. “Try a Little Tenderness’’ by Otis Redding (1967)
When it comes to love advice, this soundtrack by Otis Redding needs no introduction. It has long been considered a classic and was sampled for Kanye West and Jay-Z’s ‘’Otis. ‘’
6. “Crazy Little Thing Called Love’’ by Queen (1980)
Talking of all-time classic love hits, this record by Queen has beaten the test of time and is among the best soundtracks ever produced.
7. “When You Say Nothing at All’’ by Alison Krauss (1995)
Originally by Keith Whitley, Alison Krauss made it her own. A simple love ballad that captures the unspoken love shared between lovers, it carries a timeless message of love and devotion.
8. “First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes (2005)
An emotionally resonant and simple song that brings out the ache from meeting someone who makes your world a completely different one.
9. “Total Eclipse of the Heart’’ by Bonnie Tyler (1983)
‘’Total Eclipse of the Heart’’ is a glam rock ballad from the ‘80s that is considered a classic. Though it is slightly sad it is still a great love song.
10. “If you are Not the One’’ by Daniel Bedingfield (2002)
This is the electro-pop ballad you couldn`t turn on your radio station without hearing. It is more of a heartache song, but certainly, remains to be a classic.
11. “I Want to Know What Love Is” by Foreigner (1984)
An eager rock ballad, ‘’I want to Know What Love Is’’ is a direct plea for love and affection. It is Foreigner’s biggest hit and also one of the finest love songs of all time.
12. “That’s The Way Love Goes’’ by Janet Jackson (1993)
Based on a sample from James Brown’s R&B hit, ‘’Papa Don’t Take No Mess,’’ this track was exactly how Jackson described, ‘’the bomb.’’
13. “The Power of Love’’ by Celine Dion (1994)
Celine Dion wrote this song about her boyfriend. After a slow start, it finally made it to the number one hit. Moreover, this record topped the Billboard for four consecutive weeks.
14. “I Just Called to Say I Love You’’ by Stevie Wonder (1984)
For the movie, ‘’The Woman in Red,’’ this soundtrack won the Academy Award for best Original Song. Additionally, it made the film an Oscar winner.
15. “Dream lover’’ by Mariah Carey (1993)
A collaboration between Carey and producer Dave Hall gave Carey her longest reigning number one hit.
16. “She Loves You’’ by The Beatles (1964)
This soundtrack was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney on a tour bus in Yorkshire, England.
17. “Love is Blue’’ by Paul Mauriat (1968)
Mauriat did an instrumental cover of ‘’L’Amor EST Bleu.” It was once again at the top of the Hot 100. Furthermore, the song was voted fourth in the annual songfest.
18. “To Know Him is to Love Him’’ by The Teddy Bears (1958)
The record was by Phil Spector who was inspired by a picture of his father’s tombstone. It had the inscription: ‘’to know him was to love him.’’ It was also number one on the Hot 100 for three weeks.
19. “Bleeding Love’’ by Leona Lewis (2008)
Inspired by a long-distance relationship with his girlfriend, Jesse McCartney wrote the song together with Ryan Tedder.
20. “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’’ by Michael Jackson and Siedah Garret (1987)
Jackson explores the helplessness one feels at the hands of amazing love. This is among the very best soundtracks by the king of pop.
21. “I Want to Hold Your Hand’’ by The Beatles
By listening to this song you will realize that the Beatles legacy of songwriting will never get old. This song perfectly expresses the simple pleasures of being in love.
22. “There is a Light That Never Goes out’’ by The Smiths (1986)
This soundtrack is a bittersweet song that has earned its place as one of the best love songs of all times. Also, these music legends deliver a song that beats the test of time with an English rock vibe.
23. “Time After Time’’ by Cyndi Lauper (1983)
Another ‘80s classic, ‘’Time After Time,’’ is a sweet nostalgic pop song that also serves as a karaoke classic.
24. “I Will Make Love to You’’ by Boyz II Men (1994)
A perfect song for a loved one. It blends the romantic and physical aspects of love. This 90s hit should also be in every love playlist.
25. “Nothing Compares to You’’ by Sinead O’Connor (1990)
This heartache-fueled song by Sinead O’Conner will always hold a special place among the best love songs of all time.
26. “Kiss From a Rose’’ by Seal (1994)
This romantic ballad has been widely used in movies and TV for decades and people of all ages can sing along to it.
27. “Just like Heaven” by The Cure (1987)
No other record will leave you daydreaming about love the way, ‘’ Just like Heaven ‘’ does. This is one of the best songs by The Cure.
28. “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You’’ by Bryan Adams (1991)
Bryan Adams crafted the love song and used the art of parenthetical song titles that have long been lost.
29. “My love’’ by Justin Timberlake (2006)
This song is a blend of dance/R&B/hip-hop/pop. In addition to that, the chorus is memorable and very catchy.
30. “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face’’ by Roberta Flack (1972)
This version of the song by Roberta Flack was beautiful, slower and more sensual. It made Flack a Grammy in 1973.
31. “Such Great Heights’’ by The Postal Service (2003)
Furthermore, the changing dynamics of modern music have not altered the effect this electro-pop single brings. It has stood the test of time and remains timeless.
32. “Alive With the Glory of Love’’ by Say Anything (2004)
A lovely and lusty soundtrack ‘’Alive with the Glory of Love’’ is considered the greatest pop-punk song ever.
33. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’’ by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (1967)
A favorite for all ages, this song is easily recognizable and a timeless song.
34. “Unchained Melody’’ by The Righteous Brothers (1965)
This song is also a classic. ‘’Unchained Melody’’ is a song written about loving someone who is far from you.
35. “Love Hangover’’ by Diana Ross (1976)
This track starts with a slow, seductive tempo. However, the BPM increases, creating a club atmosphere.
36. “Can’t Help Falling in Love’’ by UB40 (1993)
This version by UB40 might never have been released, as it was overlooked by producers for the soundtrack ‘’Honeymoon in Vegas.’’ However, it was later used in another film ‘’sliver’’ and became an instant hit.
37. “I Knew I Loved You’’ by Savage Garden (2000)
Darren Hayes and bandmate Daniel Jones spent only 10 minutes on this song. However, they produced a hit that made it to number one on the Hot 100.
38. “For Crying Out Loud’’ by Meat Loaf
This masterpiece is one of the greatest love songs of all time. It is also possibly the longest one.
39. “Vision of Love’’ by Mariah Carey (1990)
Carey wrote this debut single after signing for Columbia as a celebration of her life at the time.
40. “I Can’t Stop Loving You’’ by Ray Charles (1962)
Don Gibson wrote this song in 1958 but it took four years to produce. Charles finally heard it and decided to include it in his album ‘’Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music.’’
41. “Let Me Love You” by Mario (2005)
When Mario was working on this song he never knew it would be great.
42. “Your Song’’ by Elton John (1970)
This piano ballad by Sir Elton John made it to the Grammys Hall of Fame and will easily bring out that romantic mood in anyone.
43. “We Found Love’’ by Rihanna and Calvin Harris (2010)
A dance-pop song that carries some magic with it and never gets boring. Rihanna`s vocals were amazing. It also brings a certain glow to the dance floor.
44. “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel featuring Youssou N’Dour (1986)
‘’In Your Eyes’’ is a rock song that will always hit a romantic chord in your heart every time you listen to it.
45. “Your Hand in Mine’’ by Explosions in the Sky (2003)
A single with a lot of emotions, ‘’Your Hand in Mine’’ gives anyone who listens to it chills. Also, it is among the best love songs of this Century.
46. “Make You Feel My Love’’ by Adele (2008)
This version by Adele is beautifully devastating. Moreover, it is a song with an emotionally powerful message.
47. “Thinking ‘Bout You’’ by Frank Ocean (2012)
A song with an impressive tone of love and heartache, ‘’Thinking ‘Bout You’’ settles on your brain with a lovely warmth and you will want to hear it again.
48. “At Last” by Etta James (1960)
A timeless classic love song, ‘’At Last’’ has beaten the test of time. This record captivates the room with just the first few notes.
49. “You Make Loving Fun” by Fleetwood Mac (1977)
This song is a sweet and wonderful up-tempo rock love song that is easy to sing along. In addition to that, it will remain a classic for a long time.
50. “September” by Earth, Wind, and Fire
With this song, the group Earth, Wind, and Fire created one of the best songs of this century.
“I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston (1992)
The emotional performance and the amazing vocal ability of Houston makes this song the greatest love song of all time.
52. “Silly Love Songs” by Wings (1976)
This record was the longest running number one love song of the year at that time.
53. “How Deep is Your Love” by Bee Gees (1977)
This soundtrack was the number one hit for three weeks in the Hot 100 back in 1977.
54. “Woman in Love” by Barbra Streisand (1980)
By Barry and Robin Gibb, the song become an instant hit and topped the Hot 100 for three weeks.
55. “Love Takes Time” by Mariah Carey (1990)
‘’Love Takes Time’’ was and is still among the finest songs by Carey. Moreover, it was a career maker for her and among the best love songs of all time.
Overall, love songs remain in our hearts forever. They move us, just as the feeling of being in love does. For this reason, it is important to look back at some of the greatest hits that have surfaced the music world.